Encore Sails North for the Summer

Beaufort, North Carolina to Cape Cod, Massachusetts

April 9th - May 24th, 2002

Monday, April 8, 2002, Docked at Bock Marine Services, on the ICW north of Beaufort, NC.

      Encore has been re-launched and connected to shore power to top up her batteries and chill down her refrigerator and freezer. Most of today was spent provisioning and preparing to leave in the morning. My brother Neil will sail with me to Hampton, VA.

Tuesday, April 9, 2002, From Beaufort, NC to Belhaven, NC. 53 nm in 8 hr.

0820 - started engine.
0828 - cast off under power.
1618 - anchored in Pungo Creek near Belhaven, NC, in 2' of water.

      We motorsailed until 1300 and again after 1400. The Neuse River crossing was choppy and uncomfortable, but we traveled with a pod dolphins very near the boat as we entered the Pamlico River.

Wednesday, April 10, 2002, From Belhaven, NC to Newport News Point, NC. 31 nm in 8.75 hr.

0645 - photographed sunrise on Pungo Creek, cleared fuel separator.
1009 - started engines.
1024 - motored out of Pungo Creek.
1445 - Passed dredge in Alligator-Pungo Canal.
1545 - Anchored in the lee of Newport News Point (off Deep Point) in the Alligator River.
2142 - disconnected some faulty wiring to the running light circuit.

      Rain threatened all day and winds were gusty. It stayed warm enough for jackets and hats however and the canals were so sheltered that the wind wasn't a problem. No sailing however... Peak wind was 27 knots (31 mph).

Thursday, April 11, 2002, From Newport News Point to Alligator River Marina, NC. 16 nm in 3.75 hr.

0849 - started engine, all instruments checked out OK.
0915 - anchor up and under way up Alligator River.
1200 - tied up at fuel dock in Alligator River Marina.
1300 - added 33 gallons of diesel fuel @ $.98 = $32
     dockage@ $.70 = $27
     electrical surcharge for 30 amp service = $3

Friday, April 12, 2002, From Alligator River Marina, NC to Pungo Ferry, VA. 48 nm in 7.5 hr.

0718 - started engine.
0730 - under way from marina.
0822 - passed "1AR" and entered Albemarle Sound. Seas flat with wind at 5 mph out of the NNE. on a course of 035 M.
1010 - entered North river.
1211 - at Coinjock Bridge decided to continue to across Currituck Sound to Pungo Ferry.
1500 - tied up at Pungo Ferry Marina.
     electrical and dockage = $31.50

      We were very glad to cross both sounds today. Sometimes it's a challenge, but not this trip. The day started off partly cloudy then cleared and became warmer. We didn't get to sail but had an enjoyable motor.

Saturday, April 13, 2002, From Pungo Ferry, VA to Hampton, VA. 37 nm in 6.75 hr.

0900 - cast off and under way.
1008 - waiting for North Landing Bridge 1030 opening.
1143 - waiting for Great Bridge noon opening.
1224 - cleared Great Bridge Lock.
1545 - anchored in Hampton off the Visitors Center.

      Once again the day started off on the cool side then warmed. There was a little confusion when we passed North Landing Bridge because the Coast Guard had a boat beached just north of the bridge and neglected to ask the bridge tender to inform passing boats that they needed to be especially careful about creating a wake. There was no noticable increase in security in Norfolk. Things seem to be returning to normal.

Sunday, April 14, 2002, Lay over in Hampton, VA.

      This afternoon around 1 PM I bid goodbye to my brother Neil, who sailed with me from Beaufort.

Monday, April 15, 2002, Lay over in Hampton, VA.

      This afternoon my friend Carla joined me. She will sail with me as far as Annapolis, MD. Later we moved from the anchorage to a slip at Hampton Public Piers.

Tuesday, April 16, 2002, From Hampton, VA to Fleets Bay (Kilmarnock, VA) 48.8 NM in 8 hr.

0721 - started engine.
0732 - under way.
0946 - passed York River entrance channel motorsailing.
1515 - at anchor in Pittman's Cove, Indian Creek, Fleets Bay.

      As in the past we spent a very peaceful evening and night in Pittman's Cove. We saw a beaver swimming across the cove at dusk and watched a pair of swans fly by in the morning as we drank our coffee. The morning brought clear sunny skys but little wind.

Wednesday, April 17, 2002, Fleets Bay to Solomons, VA 47.76 NM in 8.5 hr.

0743 - started engine.
0754 - under way.
1221 - photographed ?? Light.
1614 - anchored in Solomons off the Calvert Museum.

      Again there was almost no wind, but the day was beautiful and calm with almost perfect temperatures for shorts and tee shirts. There was very little traffic on the bay.

Thursday, April 18, 2002, Lay over day at Solomons.

      We had rain showers in the morning. During the afternoon I photographed the exhibits and interviewed the aquarists at the Calvert Museum. We had dinner at the "Naughty Gull" in the evening.

Friday, April 19, 2002, Solomons, MD to St. Michaels, MD 49 NM in 9.75 hr.

0725 - started engine.
0848 - completed fueling, bleeding fuel lines, etc. and left fuel dock.
1244 - cut engine and proceeded under sail.
1445 - started engine and continued motorsailing.
1642 - stopped engine at anchor off St. Michaels, MD.

      This morning, while cleaning the fuel separator, I accidentally mis-aligned the gasket and created an air leak. The first symptom was when the electric fuel pump ran away on the approach to the fuel dock. We had to bleed the lines before leaving the dock, but, fortunately, no one was waiting for us to leave so it was a learning experience rather than a fire drill.

Saturday, April 20, 2002, St. Michaels, MD to Annapolis, MD 25 NM in 5.66 hr.

1245 - startedengine, hauled anchor and got under way.
1705 - stopped engine on mooring in Annapolis Harbor.

      Had a close encounter with a sports fishing boat that was trailing lines and following a very eratic course. Fortunately no collision resulted. I had to bring Encore to a dead stop and wait to see if the fishermen were going to run into us or not. Perhaps they didn't realize that the fishing right of way rule only applies to commercial fishing boats, or perhaps they just weren't paying attention. We took one of the municipal moorings in Annapolis.

Sunday, April 21 - May 1, 2002, Lay over in Annapolis.

      Unsettled weather with showers and light but gusty winds out of the NE. Spent most of the first afternoon on the mooring clearing a clogged head.

      Saw Carla off on the shuttle for the train home on the second day, then stayed to photograph the Volvo Ocean Race leg start and the Maryland Maritime Festival.

Wednesday, May 1, 2002, Annapolis, MD to Chesapeake City, DE 50.5 NM in 7 hr.

0657 - started engine and cast off mooring.
0756 - passed (and photographed) Bay Bridges.
1237 - passed Turkey Point and entered Elk River.
1410 - tied up at Schaefers Canal House in Chesapeake City.

      Schaefers Canal House is under new management and the food seems better than last fall. I was brave and had a cheeseburger. Still haven't had nerve enough to try the seafood.

Thursday, May 2, 2002, Chesapeake City, DE

      Took a lay-over day because weather was unfavorable for the trip down Delaware Bay.

Friday, May 3, 2002, Chesapeake City, DE to Lewes DE 65.23 NM in 9.5 hr.

0620 - winds 15-25 K. and gusty.
0854 - started engine.
0902 - under way.
1300 - passed (and photographed) Ship John Shoal Light.
1825 - anchored in Lewes Breakwater Harbor, inside Cape Henlopen Harbor of Refuge in 0.5' of water.

      Although peak winds were only about 30 K. rough and confused seas were a problem today. This was a horrible trip with heavy and unpredictable seas. The end was a real struggle. When I entered the Harbor of Refuge the seas inside were as bad, if not worse, than the seas in the open water at the mouth of Delaware Bay. It was only in the inner harbor inside the breakwater (second breakwater) that I found a lee to hide behind.

      The Coast Guard visited in the late evening. They said somebody ashore had reported me aground. I told them, "almost, but not quite". When they asked if everything was all right I said, "I didn't much like the trip down Delaware Bay, but other than that we're fine."

      Don't know where the plural "we" came from. Guess I meant me and Encore...

Saturday, May 4, 2002, Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ 16.5 NM in 3.75 hr.

1100 - started engine and hauled anchor.
1109 - under way.
1128 - passed (and photographed) lighthouse at entrance of Cape Henlopen Harbor of Refuge.
1200 - passed a large pod of dolphins feeding.
1445 - anchored off the Coast Guard Station in Cape May Harbor.

      Pleasant trip after yesterday! Slow because wind and small seas were on the nose and I held the engine slow at 1900 rpm. Short trip, no reason to hurry...

Sunday, May 5, 2002, Cape May, NJ

      The day started cool and drizzly, so I took another lay-over day to catch up on internet work, read, research alternatives to Farley Marina in Atlantic City for dockage and just sleep in!

      Went ashore in the afternoon, had lunch at the Lobster Pot (where I tied up the dinghy) and walked to the "WaWa", a large convenience store nearby.

      After returning to Encore I made a reservation for dock space at Kammerman's Marina, across the creek from Farley and guaranteed it with a credit card. At $1.50 per foot Kammerman's is much cheaper than Farley (which is now $3.00 per foot and going to $4.00 next month).

      I also started a dump of fuel from the large deck tank to the main tank and let it drain throughout the night.

Monday, May 6, 2002, Cape May, NJ to Atlantic City, NJ 33 NM in 6 hr (with side trip).

0605 - started engine and hauled anchor.
0618 - under way.
1121 - photographed Atlantic City from the entrance channel.
1241 - docked after fueling.

      A long seeming day of motoring. Saw another pod of dolphins as I exited Cape May. Although the wind began to blow from the east just before I entered the inlet at Absecon there wasn't enough trip left to justify setting sail. Sigh!

      There's not a lot to say about the Jersey Coast, long empty stretches of ocean which are either a delight if the wind cooperates and there are enough crew on board to stand watches, or seemingly endless tedium for a single hander who is forced to motor... I toured the inlet before putting in but didn't find any satisfactory anchorages.

Tuesday, May 7 - Thursday, May 9, 2002, In Absecon docked at Kammerman's Marina.

      Lay over for weather. Photographed Gardner's Basin and the Boardwalk.

Friday, May 10, 2002, Absecon Inlet to Atlantic Highlands. 80.6 NM in 13.5 hr.

0600 - started engine.
0613 - under way motoring.
1122 - passed "BI" buoy at mouth of Barnegat Inlet.
1144 - set jib and began motorsailing.
1454 - passed Manesquan Inlet motorsailing.
1939 - anchored in Atlantic Highlands.

      The peak wind today was 34 mph. It was a very long day. Since the wind was off the land I stayed within 1/2 mile of the beach for protection from the seas.

      The first 3 hours of the trip were on radar through heavy fog.

Saturday, May 11, 2002 Anchored in Atlantic Highlands.

      Layover for rest and recreation.

Sunday, May 12, 2002 Atlantic Highlands to Liberty Landing Marina, Jersey City, NJ.

0718 - started engine, began hauling anchor.
0735 - under way.
0833 - photographed West Bank Light and Verrazano Narrows Bridge.
0915 - passed Verrazano Narrows bridge.
1025 - tied up at Liberty Landing marina.

      Drizzle and overcast. No real wind.

Monday, May 13 - Saturday, May 18, 2002 Lay Over in New York, Docked at Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City, NJ.

      Bad weather.

Sunday, May 19 2002, Jersey City, NJ, to Hempstead Harbor, NY.
1310 - started engine.
1335 - cast off from Liberty Landing Marina.
1525 - passed Throgs Neck Bridge, max speed through Hell's Gate 11 K under railroad bridge.
1630 - stopped engine and continued sailing into Hempstead Harbor under jib.
1735 - anchored behind J.P. Morgan's breakwater in Hempstead Harbor.

      Peaceful trip to a familiar anchorage.

Monday, May 20, 2002, Hempstead Harbor, NY to Duck Island Roads, CT 58.43 NM in 10 hr.
0600 - started dump from large deck aux fuel tank to main tank.
0617 - started engine, cold weather!
0633 - anchor up and under way.
0700 - winds out of the NE, on the nose even though predictions were for NW. motoring.
1110 - warmer but wind has died.
1601 - anchored in Duck Island Roads.

      Hunkered down under the protection of the partially erected cockpit enclosure I motored endlessly down the sound. And on... And on... And on...

Tuesday, May 21, 2002, Duck Island Roads, CT to Orient Harbor, NY

0850 - started engine.
0900 - anchor up and under way.
1300 - fueled in Greenport and took on water.
1404 - started engine.
1445 - anchored in Orient Harbor.

      Since the winds and tides were contrary for Point Judith I decided to do a side trip to Greenport and Orient Harbor. Greenport hadn't changed much in the last few years and was still the pleasant and hospitable town that I had remembered from visits ten years ago. The lighthouse at the entrance to Orient Harbor, marked as a ruin on the navigation charts, has been rebuilt.

Wednesday, May 22, 2002, Orient Harbor, NY, to Point Judith, RI

0751 - started engine.
0804 - anchor up and under way.
0923 - set main and jib.
1205 - cut engine.
1422 - started engine & struck sail.
1451 - anchored in PJHR.

      Finally! Favorable winds and currents. Made over 7 K over the bottom under sail in less than 10 K of wind. And the weather was warm.

Thursday, May 23, 2002, Point Judith, RI to Onset, MA

0636 - started engine.
0652 - anchor up and under way.
0710 - sighted "Rotterdam" entering Naragansett Bay.
1442 - tied up at Onset Bay Marina.

      This was a tedious day. It was cold with unsteady following winds and seas. Fortuately it was a relatively short trip. I motored all the way. Cheryl, a friend from Provincetown, will join me in the morning for the last day of the trip.

Friday, May 24, 2002, Onset, MA, to Provincetown, MA.

0658 - started engine.
0705 - cast off and under way.
1047 - cut engine in Cape Cod Bay and continued under sail.
1402 - tied up on our home mooring off MacMillan Pier.

      And so ends the journey home. Until the next adventure...



From Megan on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 11:40:37

Do you have any better pictures of the Naragansett Bridge?


From CLAIR ZIMMERMAN on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 21:45:23

nice trip which is your boat and also what are the names of the light houses that are shown


From d. rehm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 at 07:53:53

I enjoyed your artical very much, and by the way it's Chesapeake City, Maryland not Delaware. I have gone to Schaefer's Canal House many times of the years, and it has grown quite a bit. Again, I enjoyed your article.


From Sue on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 21:53:09

I enjoyed reading this again. Wondered what the details were on some of the photos - maybe next time you will mention more about them . . . me


{- Previous | This Issue's Contents | Full Index | Next -}

Use this form to add your notes and comments.